Building Better Sentences


One of my tutor students needed a bit of help with her sentences. She was great with her basic sentences but getting her to expand on those was a bit harder.  She would add a detail here or there, but it was hard for her to see where she could add more. 

To make this tedious task fun, I came up with this “Building Better Sentences” activity.

This activity allowed Allie to see the basic sentence and then add the adjectives where she thought they sounded best. To my surprise, instead of just adding one or two adjectives, she made it a challenge to try to use all of them. This in turn, gave me a great teaching opportunity. 

When she was done with the sentences we were able to talk about how the adjectives worked in the sentence she created, as well as deciding if they were really needed or if the sentence sounded better without certain words.

Overall, this turned out to be a great activity, and with continued playing, she is getting to the point of adding those adjectives automatically.


You can find this in either one of my stores.



Enjoy!



3 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Brandee, my kids had a lot of fun with this.
      Shawna

      Delete
  2. I love this teaching activity! Having fun while learning is really the best way to educate kids. If only more tutors and teachers as well will be creative like you, then I'm sure that more kids will enjoy learning just as they do with playing. Keep it up, Shawna!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!