Inspiration from a Creative Teacher

Inspiration comes in all forms and this week I was contacted by a Kinder teacher from LAUSD Olympic Primary Center.  Mr. Arturo Avina took the classic book Miss Nelson is Missing and with the help of his kinders re-created the story.

Here is the email I recieved from Mr. Avina:

Hello! My name is Arturo Avina and am a kindergarten teacher at Olympic Primary Center in Los Angeles. I wanted to share a film with you that might be of some interest to your readers. As elementary school teachers, one of the stories that most teachers are familiar with is "Miss Nelson Is Missing." It's a classic that has been enjoyed by both teachers and students for many years. It was one of my favorites as a child, and as a teacher, I wanted to share the same story with my students. However, we took it a step further. Instead of reading the story, we decided to make a film out of it, and in the process, incorporate music and dramatic arts. We also focused on reading comprehension as the students were encouraged to read beyond the text and decide what their characters would do and say. Since many of my students are English language learners, acting the story out was very beneficial for them and it also allowed them to focus on oral language skills and vocabulary acquisition. Additionally, we created tie-ins to our social studies units on school and community. It was project that hit many academic areas, but more importantly, gave us all a real sense of accomplishment. It is my hope that educators and students everywhere are entertained by our efforts, and possibly even encourage to blend more performing arts into their curriculum. If you enjoy our film, would you consider posting it? We would appreciate it immensely. We poured a lot of love and work into our project and it is with great pride that we present it to the online community. Thank you for your consideration.

Arturo Avina
Olympic Primary Center
LAUSD

After watching the video you will see why I had to share this. Please watch this amazing video and tell me if you were INSPIRED!





Enjoy!

7 comments

  1. Wow- this was fantastic. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seriously just MADE MY DAY. Adorable. Adorable. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest thing!!!!

    Terri
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now that I have wiped away tears tons of times, I'm going to Youtube to share this with my school. Wow! What an amazing production! Thank you and Mr. Avina for sharing this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was truly inspired by this video. You can't deny all the hard work that went into this video by both the students and teachers. Thanks for sharing this amazing piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This video is awesome! Wonderful job Mr. Avina.

    Bug hugs, Shelly
    The Land of Glitter

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!