Top 10 Books for April


I can't believe April is here already!

Here are my top10 picks, again they correlate with specific days in April. I hope I introduce you to something new, or just remind you of and oldie but goodie!





April 1st is April Fools Day...a super fun day! How many of you are an April Fools Day fan? Gilbert is a huge April Fools Day fan, but unfortunately for him he is the one that everyone is playing tricks on! This is a fun book and will definitely delight your students.






I just love Mark Teague, and this book Funny Farm is classic Teague! I picked this book because April 10 is National Farm Animal Day. Your students will LOVE the silly antics of all the animals and crack up at the illustrations that go with the story.







April 11th is National Pet Day and this book is a fun twist on a persons first pet experience.  In this story Lucy, the bear, finds a little boy hiding in the woods. She takes him home and begs her mama to let her keep the boy as a pet. This story is super silly and will have your kids completely engaged. Do children really make terrible pets? Let your students decide.









April 12th is DEAR (drop everything and read). I love this day, and I sure wish I could really drop everything to read. I have picked Mop Top because it is a book from my childhood. I loved it as a kid and is still one of my favorites. I always have this book close by and it is one I would definitely drop everything for.








April 17th is National Haiku Poetry Day. This adorable book about a puppy that needs a home is all told in Haiku. A great story, and example for your students of what a Haiku is.







Poem in Your Pocket Day is April 18th. Does your school acknowledge/celebrate this day? My kids used to dig through this book Miles of Smiles to find just the right poem. They would take a week to learn it and then on April 18th they would carry that poem in their pocket. Any adult at the school would stop the students throughout the day and ask them if they had a poem in their pocket. If they did, and they could recite it (or read it) they were given school money. My kids LOVED it! I hope your school does something fun!









Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten is a book that probably all of you have, and you probably read it on the first day of kindergarten. But April 21st just happens to be Kindergarten Day. It might be fun to pull it out and read it again, comparing the first day of kindergarten to today.









April 22 is Earth Day. I picked Michael Recycle as my Earth Day pick because it is just so darn cute! Your kids will get excited about recycling and fall in love with this super green hero!








April 26th is Arbor Day. Do you celebrate this day in any way? We are so lucky to have a city that puts on an Arbor Day show at the local park. The twenty-something year olds that put on the show do such a great job, the kids love, loVE, LOVE it! At the end, each classroom is given a tree to plant and the kids get an Arbor Day coloring book. This book Arbor Day Square transports the reader back in time when a brand new community works together to build their town. On the day their shipment of trees come in, Katie and her papa plant a tree in the memory of mama. A true heartwarming story.






April 30 is National Honesty Day. The first book that popped into my mind was Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie. In this book Ruthie tells a not so teeny lie and gets so sick about it that she finally realized that honesty is always the best policy. A great book for a day about honesty.











Do you have a book you always read in April?  If so, do share!

Happy reading!





6 comments

  1. Thanks for these book suggestions - so many of these were new to me and went right on the list of books to find!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to get some of these books, I think you and your students will really like them!!
      Enjoy your week,
      Shawna

      Delete
  2. Hi Shawna, I am sooooo happy I found your blog!! I am a science teacher - I love to read & to teach using children's books - your blog is exactly what I've been searching for!! I'm always looking for good science books for kids. I'm your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      I am so glad you found me. I just went and explored your blog and LOVE it!
      Shawna

      Delete
  3. I just love your blog! My credit card doesn't always agree, but I love it! Lol! I would love for you to check out my April Monthly Market linky and link up! This would be a terrific post for it :o) (It's like you knew it was coming)

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! I adore that your school does the poem in your pocket! I mighr have to mention that to my team :o) I've also just put Michael Recycle in my cart, thanks for the tip!

      Sabra
      Teaching with a Touch of Twang

      Delete

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!